The Associate Data Engineer will be a member of the Data Engineering team which provides data and process support across the entire company including our travel products, customer service, marketing and
The primary purpose of the role is to design, develop and maintain current and new engineering solutions to support the needs of the Data Engineering team and its Customers.
The engineer would benefit from having an understanding of the capabilities that exist across various technologies and platforms. They should be able to demonstrate initiative in learning existing and new tools, subject areas, business processes, and technologies, as Priceline’s technology base increasingly includes Big Data and Cloud solutions. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
• determining the customer (who’s affected)
• understanding the environment (Linux, Windows, Cloud, etc.)
• understanding the type of solution requested/needed (web-based, distributed, daemon)
• having knowledge of tools available based on environment
• ability to manage time to deliver a high-quality solution within the requested time-frame
• documenting proposed solutions
• presenting proposals, if needed, for complex changes or solutions, for feedback and possible
• keeping up-to-date with new technologies, especially as they relate to possible use within team
• integrating new technologies within the current workflow framework, or as improved replacements
• working with other teams to understand their problem set, so as to provide a better solution
• learning current process workflows to provide backup support
• providing suggestions for improvements on current workflows
• educating other team members on new workflow proposals, and/or where team knowledge is lacking in
a specific subject area
Required Skills and Experience
Working Knowledge of Core Java, Spring frameworks, Web services and API development.
Working Knowledge of SQL development, with Oracle, MySQL.
Experience using other programming languages such as Unix Shell scripting or Python.
Knowledge of Data Engineering tools such as Informatica, Apache Airflow, etc. is a plus.
Good written and verbal communication skills, including some technical writing skills.
Ability to circumvent impediments to achieve targeted goal.
Committed to high quality results with capability to QA own work.
Bachelors in Information Systems, Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
At least 2-3 years’ experience