From accounting and financial planning to risk/fraud analysis and payments, our Finance team ensures not only our company’s financial security, but that our customers can buy from us with confidence.
Priceline is looking for a skilled and hands-on tax professional to oversee all aspects of Priceline’s tax strategy and compliance.
As the lead tax professional for a brand within a larger holding company, you will be primarily engaged on state and local transactional tax issues. Strong hands-on experience in this area is a must. You will work with the business to formulate strategy related to compliance with new US state and local transactional taxes, for example, a series of new marketplace facilitator laws.
You will also work with the business on strategic projects, including international expansion, and the VAT and foreign income tax consequences of such expansion, including understanding what new tax obligations may arise and determining the best strategy for managing them. You will oversee a small team that handles monthly tax transactional filings and compliance, and you will guide this team in honing the process of tax reporting and remitting. You will be the point person on any tax regulatory inquiries or audits for our brand and work with internal and outside tax and legal advisors as needed. You will interact regularly with the business teams, the legal department, and the parent company’s tax department (who are responsible for global and US income and other tax strategy and compliance). Being a smart, strategic self starter with good communication skills and business acumen is a must!
· Primarily responsible for Priceline’s transactional tax compliance and strategy, both in the US and in international markets, as well as foreign income tax compliance and strategy.
· Liaise with the business teams, legal department and outside advisors (as needed) to develop strategy and oversee compliance. Work with parent company tax team to develop consistent strategy for our brand within the context of the larger public company.
· Manage and advise on Priceline’s US and international tax compliance, including keeping abreast of new transactional tax legislation both nationally and internationally.
· Identify and mitigate company risks and communicate areas of potential exposure to management.
· Lead, supervise and transform the tax transactional accounting processes and delivery schedule, including introducing technology-enabled solutions where appropriate.
· Provide assistance with tax accounting and reporting requirements for new business combinations and other major corporate transactions and initiatives.
· Ensure that tax accounting expense and accrual processes, documentation and related systems are in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley internal control requirements.
· Work with financial planning team to forecast taxes, and impacts of potential business activities.
· Manage state and local transactional tax audits and inquiries by governmental authorities.
· Develop and lead the team, including mentoring, continued development of technical skills, and maintaining and enhancing team dynamics.
· Direct, revise, and design tax processes to ensure efficient operations of the tax function.
· Oversee all aspects of sales/use and occupancy tax, annual business licenses, VAT/GST.
· Ensure that any sales tax, occupancy tax, GST and VAT returns and refund claims are accurate and filed on a timely basis.
· Anticipate internal and external tax compliance challenges or regulatory issues, research implications to the business, and provide recommendations to management.
· Lead the development and implementation of tax planning strategies and provide technical assistance on various tax issues.
· Assist with evaluation of digital service taxes applicability to Priceline’s business model and formulate compliance strategy if applicable.
· Monitor Priceline’s indirect tax nexus in new taxing jurisdictions along with compliance obligations.
IT and Systems:
· Work with business and IT colleagues to develop enhanced plans for sales/use/occupancy tax systems and business processes to meet compliance filing and remittance obligations using best practices.
· Liaison and integrate with the business, accounting, and IT teams to fully understand how revenues and expenses are recorded to ensure the data underlying the tax compliance, audits, and litigation is valid and that the processes are designed and executed to supportaccurate reporting and remittances in compliance with state and local laws.
· Oversee that monthly tax rate changes are integrated with business and compliance processes.
· Manage the development and maintenance of internal database requirements for all aspects of sales/ use and occupancy tax in all states and other municipalities where the companies have filing requirements.
· 10+ years of corporate tax experience, with focus on state and local transactional taxes. Big 4 accounting experience preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree.
· Advanced credentials (e.g. Masters in Taxation, MBA and/or CPA).
· Strong technical knowledge of complex tax issues.
· Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, and management skills.
· Problem solving skills evidenced by demonstrated results in past positions.
· Strong attention to detail. Must be able to manage multiple tasks concurrently.
· General knowledge of GAAP/SOX and an understanding of internal accounting controls.
· Strong analytical thinking and writing skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact well with a diverse population of coworkers and external auditors and tax advisors
· Demonstrated history of living the values important to priceline.com: Customer, Innovation, Team, Accountability and Trust. Unquestionable integrity and ethics.
Priceline is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.